Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Just say "no"

After I wrote my blog last night I realized that I had only described what it takes to be designated as a Board-Certified music therapist.  I didn’t really explain what it means to be a music therapist.

Right now what it means (to me) is feeling guilty, because I don’t feel that well, and I have clients I need to see this afternoon.  Even if they decide they don’t want their sessions, it’s important that I be there.  I think it’s therapeutic for a person living in an institution to be able to have someone they can 1) reject and 2) say “no” to and still be safe.  I mean, I don’t enjoy being rejected, and it would be a pain if I dragged my fighting off a cold self in to work only to have my clients decide they don’t want music therapy today, but it’s part of the job.

Off I go.

No comments: